Since its inception 2011, Kanyathon has been pivotal in helping the socio-economically deprived communities, with special emphasis on the empowerment of the girl child. In 2019 alone, Kanyathon together with CRY was able to help 182,222 girls enrol in schools, 804 villages were freed from child labour, 10,114 children were immunized and 13,330 were brought out of malnutrition. All in all, a startling number of 364,818 children were impacted.
With the schools shut down and the Anganwadi center not functional due to the pandemic the children in the villages of Kolar do not have access to formal education and basic nutrition - in these trying times. Also, with the lockdown and children being shut in their homes they are more vulnerable to abuse and exploitation. All these problems need to address because the little souls need all the love, support and affection to go through these hard times with ease and not sleep at night with a frown on their face. Kanyathon has provided hope during these turbulent times.
1. To mobilize vulnerable groups and give them access to their rights.
2. To campaign and educate school children, the general public about the nature and reason for hunger, malnutrition, poverty, exploitation.
3. Advocating for quality Anganwadi centers/pre-school centers, pre-primary and secondary schools, setting up hostels especially with preference to the marginalized communities.
4. To promote counseling services to poor women.
5. To organize educational and skills development programs for children.